Tuesday, June 22, 2010

a little of Renaisance and Triumph of Emperor Maximillian

Salve,
Hans Burkmair  Hans Burgkmair , designed one of the most impressive German Renaissance woodcut projects - more than 150 woodcuts of various  aspects of Emperor  Maximillian I (not a friend of Polish-Lithianian Jagiellonian Kingdom) display of power.  Also there can be found a little book on the archive.org  triumph of emperor where many details regarding these plates are given in somewhat antiquated English of the late XIX century.
Anyway,  this greatest link to the 'Maximillian Procession' woodcuts ( Graz collection of some of the hand painted woodcuts surviving form the Triumphal Procession of Maximillian) was  found by Michal 'Kadrinazi'  triumphzug 
Although Michal graciously posted the link on his blog, I decided to post it here since his blog is in Polish   http://kadrinazi.blogspot.com/ ... and few readers of English tongue might go  dircetly over to his fine, almost daily updated, blog on XVII century military, but if you choose to do so here is his post about it  http://kadrinazi.blogspot.com/2010/06/triumphzug-kaiser-maximilians.html .
thank you, Michal :)
ps
and my little drawing with GIMP paint studio and Mypaint, of our King Sigismund Augustus royal hussar circa 1553

2 comments:

Kadrinazi said...

Hi Dario
Very interesting picture of hussar, I had to read some more about warfare in second half of 16th century. Any chance (if I could suggest) that You could try to draw Polish or Lithuanin reiter from first half of 17th century?
Thanks that for once more You mentioned my blog here :)
I like new layouyt of Your blog, that colour looks better - I think I may change something in my corner as well.

Regards
Michal

Dario T. W. said...

czolem,
thanks for yoru comments - I do like this layout better, althought wish there were some horses here :)
I do not have any plans regarding the reiters, but I am open to suggestions :).On the other hand I have been thinking about drawing king Wladislaw IV Vasa in an equestrian setting - eg http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/1f/Capitulation_of_Russian_garrison_of_Smolensk_before_Vladislaus_IV_Vasa_of_Poland_1634.png also I do have several dragons from around the 1648-55, with unit banners,
I have to work them over as they are my leftovers from doing that book on Biala Cerkiew..
by the way, have you looked at this painting http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/82/Session_of_the_Polish_Senate_in_Jasna_G%C3%B3ra_in_1661.PNG the halberded and armored guards with officer may belong to the Royal Guard Infantry Regiment, circa 1661.