Monday, June 18, 2012

Plains Indian Shields - historic references part I

Salve amici mei,
it is almost the summer and my blogging will slow down considerably starting in mid-July until September. But I promise to pick up again in mid-Spetmeber as I should have plenty of interesting topics to tackle and artwork/photos to share.


My last post was about the shields and armour of the Plains Indians. Allow me to share with you some period (XIX century) iconographic material demonstrating the method of carrying such shield when on foot or on horseback. Let us start with the ledger drawings and Kurz drawing of Rotten Tail

..

...

...

...

...

...

...
 ...

 ...

...

... Rudolph Friedrich Kurz

...

...
Note, that in the future I will 'go deeper' in many of these images, especially regarding the horses, horsemanship and tack as well as other aspects of the material culture of the XIX century Plains tribal peoples.


No comments: