Friday, January 10, 2014

Horses of Gericault - adendum

Salve,
in December I made this entry on the wonderful equestrian art of Monsieur Gericault, and today I am going to add several images from his 'stables.'

 I especially like the watercolour sketches and the drawings done on tinted paper with sepia and white gauche.
All of these images again and again shows us the beauty of the horse and amazing skill of Master Gericault.
..






.
also, I made a sketch, a few weeks back, of a horseman based on his famous horseman of the Napoleon's guard. I am going to make this horseman into a Polish or Hungarian rider from the 1600s or 1700s, I am not sure just yet.  Perhaps more than one horseman since digital painting allows us to do create multiple images  :)
In any event, studying the Old Masters and using their compositions etc to draw and paint that is the time honoured tradition, and a great learning tool.

Enjoy

No comments: